A very popular outing amongst the locals is the Klein River Cheese Farm situated about 7km’s from Stanford in the Overberg.
Why choose us for you cheese platter tasting experience?
This is an ideal place to visit and caters for a variety of different needs.
What do we offer?
We offer two main items types of baskets for you to choose from:
The picnic baskets is filled with:
- Moroccan carrot salad, feta and lemon dressing.
- Greek style salad with lime and coriander dressing.
- Grilled chicken skewers, meatballs and chipolata sausages with coriander chutney.
- Ciabatta rolls, butter with pastrami and grana with some overberg cheese and some basil pesto.
- Butternut, caramelized onion and feta tart.
- We have even thrown in a few mini koeksisters for dessert.
The second item is the cheese platter that is filled with:
- Butternut caramelized onion and feta tarts
- Mini Bobotie pastries
- Grana/Gruyere, Havarti, leyden and camembert cheese
- Crackers and Gruyere cheese straws and fig pate with spiced ginger conserve plus almond stuffed olives.
While you are enjoying your cheese platter what about the kids?
There is a playpark for the youngsters with a large playground with trampolines, jungle gym, merry-go-round, tree houses, swings, a slide, sandpit and more. There are also a few farm animals for the children to interact with.
But that is not all we offer you…
You can watch the cheese making process and can taste a variety of different cheeses that are made on the farm. All these cheeses and all kinds of other goodies can be bought from this shop. The personnel in the shop are there to answer any questions that you have and to help you select the perfect cheese for your need, so that you can then go and create your own cheese platter for yourself to take home.
PICNICS : the picnic season is from 1st November until the first week in May. Picnics are available from 11h00 to 15h00 on a daily basis. You can either choose to create your own picnic basket or you can choose from one of their gourmet picnic lunches. You can take your basket down to the banks of the tranquil Klein River or relax under the trees on the beautiful lawns or stay on the veranda of the Picnic Shed.
What else do I need to know?
We work on a booking system as we can get very busy at the farm and to insure that your cheese platters and baskets are prepared for you, we do all this by booking so once you have placed your order with us you will need to let us know what day you plan on coming through. Without a book you will not get a basket… This is very important…